Hello, I'm Guy. I'm a user-centred research and design consultant based in Buckingham, England. Find out more about my skills, my portfolio and my background. You can also see what people have to say about me and read my articles on UX and digital strategy.
I have spent the last 20 years working as the Lead User Experience Designer in Student Support at the Open University. Since leaving the OU I have helped form the UCISA HE UX community of practice, undertaken UX research for a food ordering mobile application, provided UX Consultancy to Web Happens and Accessibility Consultancy to Experience UX. I am now looking for fresh opportunities to broaden my experience and apply my knowledge. See my CV.
Please do get in touch via LinkedIn to discuss opportunities for me to add value to your service, product, project and organisation.
The achievement that I am most proud of is forming and leading a small team of talented UX researchers, content, visual and interaction designers.
As a team we delivered a completely bespoke online Help Centre, introducing some innovative approaches to continuous improvement using feedback to keep students at the centre of the design process.
You can find out a little more about what I learnt during my time at The Open University in Ten opportunities for improving digital student support services and How feedback can help you improve the quality of your digital service.
Over the last 20 years I have also
- Mentored, coached and supported UX, content and service design colleagues across many units within The Open University.
- Established web standards, accessibility, progressive enhancement and responsive design best practice at the Open University (OU).
- Designed and developed a digital component framework for rapid delivery of accessible, brand compliant websites.
- Designed and established UX designer and Content designer roles and career paths.
- Formulated and established digital governance at the OU.
- Introduced Scrum Agile Development and Agile UX to OU Student Support.
- Delivered content strategy, UX strategy to OU Digital Student Support.
You can see examples of my work in my portfolio.
My top seven significant strengths are
- Leadership, taking responsibility for influencing and motivating others to contribute to the goals of success of the team and organisation.
- Creativity, generating new ideas and original solutions to move things forward.
- Relationship building, taking the steps to build networks of contacts and acting as a ‘hub’ between the people I know.
- Decisiveness, making quick, confident and clear decisions, even when faced with limited information.
- Compassion, demonstrating a deep and genuine concern for the wellbeing and welfare of others.
- Empathy, readily identifying with other people’s situations and can see things clearly from their perspective.
- Enthusiasm, demonstrating passion and energy when communicating goals, beliefs, interests or ideas I feel strongly about.
How can I help?
- help design and find opportunities to improve existing end-to-end service design
- identify ways to improve the accessibility of digital products and services
- lead the design and implementation of global design language, templates, components and associated documentation
- form, mentor and lead digital service teams
- design and facilitate user experience research activities including user needs analysis, card sorting, tree-testing, journey mapping, prototyping, A/B testing, expert review, competitor analysis, field and diary studies
Find out more about my strengths and skills.