A UX Community of Practice for Higher Education
Guy Carberry, 23 November 2021
This evolving article will cover how we formed a grass roots Community of Practice (COP) for User Experience (UX) in Higher Education (HE). I will update it as the group grows to document what we did and what we learnt along the way.
Soon after leaving The Open University I helped form the The Higher Education UX Community of Practice. We met over the summer of 2021 to map out the scope of the group, identify potential members and get a sense of the terms of reference. My first task was to create the call to action to drum up some interest:
Call to action!
- Do you work in Higher Education?
- Are you passionate about user-centred design and putting users at the heart of everything you do?
- Do you want to meet, share and learn with other UX folk across Higher Education?
- Do you want to raise the bar for UX and Service Design across the UK HE sector?
- Perhaps you'd like help and support communicating the value of UX to senior managers and stakeholders?
- Or perhaps you are or are wanting to get into UX design, UX strategy, Content design, Content strategy, UX research, Service design, Product design?
- Or wanting help forming an accessible and inclusive digital strategy?
If this sounds like you or your team, join us today!
Having recruited over 100 professionals from across the UK HE sector, we set about planning a series of virtual meetups to cover all aspects of UX in an HE content. The first guest speaker, Paul Boag was scheduled for December 2021.